Ask Me Anything: Q&A
Well, that escalated quickly! A good 10 hours ago, we were at the airport waiting to board to New York City with a 1.5 hour delay. So I decided to use the question tool on Instagram Stories for the first time and posted a “ ask me anything” call to action. Little did I know there was lots of things you were burning to know…
I received so many questions from you (so many good ones, also!), that answering all of them in my stories would be borderline spam. Hence, I decided to make use of the 9-hour flight and jot them down in one big Q&A blogpost. That way, the answers won’t disappear after 24 hours and you may get to know me a little better.
- How did you meet your boyfriend? 12 years ago in school. He was attending the HAK and I was in the Gymnasium next door. I was the new girl from California and he wrote me on Uboot (which was before Myspace in the good old days).
- Favorite boutique in Vienna? Amicis, Duft & Kultur, Lederleitner Home + Inked.
- How do you manage to deal with your travels, relationship and household all at the same time? My boyfriend also works and travels a lot, so there is a mutual understanding there. We have our wonderful Anita who helps with the household once per week and I think that if you love what you do, it always helps and seems only have as bad!
- What is your favorite city to travel to? So difficult! I love the L.A. lifestyle and it feels like home, but NYC is pure magic. In Europe, I love Rome and Paris but would not want to live there!
- In which city could you imagine living? Mike and I always wanted to go to college in Munich, and it is still a city I love! But nothing beats Vienna in terms of quality of life!
- Do you think that there is still a chance to make it big in this Instagram fashion business now? Yes! Quality always wins! If you create unique, creative content, it will pay off sooner or later!
- What is your favorite running interval training? 20 minutes of running sprints on the treadmill, alternating between 1 minute at 14km/h and 2 minutes at 8.5km/h. Such a torch and super effective!
- What do you eat on the flight back home when you can’t prep your meals? I usually wash the containers I came with and stock up at a health food store with things like pre-made quinoa salads or hard-boiled eggs. If this is not an option, apples, nuts, raw bars and lots of water!
- Why do you never take pictures with your boyfriend? I do – I just don’t post them <3
- Where are you heading? New York City for 4 days to see the Weeknd, Dua Lipa and Migos at a festival on Randall Island.
- What are you especially thankful for in life? 1000% for my family! It is an absolute privilege to grow up with and surrounded by so much love and support at home.
- What are your dream destinations? Where do you really want to go? Bali is at the very top of that list, followed by South Africa, Fiji and Vietnam!
- Favorite brunch spots in Vienna? Vienna is a great place to have breakfast or brunch, my favorites are The Guesthouse (serving breakfast until 11pm), Motto am Fluss, Salonplafond, Ulrich and/or Erich and the acai bowls at Superfood Deli.
- What are your favorite trends of the season? I am loving satin (midi) skirts, wrap skirts, lots of white, linen-inspired fabrics, loose fitted pants and timeless sandals (like the Hermes Oran sandals or Nu Pieds by Saint Laurent)
- Do you still have fitness “goals” (ie. More workouts, more yoga,…)? Not really. I am super happy with my 3-4 workouts per week at the moment and the flow I am in. However, I do want to incorporate more yoga and regular runs again.
- Favorite book? Can’t decide (forever a fan of Harry Potter, To Kill A Mockingbird and The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants).
- What products do you use for your hair? Currently shampoo & conditioner by Playe + the Moroccan hair oil. But I also love Kerastase, The OUAI and Aveda.
- Why do you never show your boyfriend? No reason in particular! Despite loving social media, I (we) think it is important to keep certain things private – he is one of them!
- Does your assistant only work for you or The Daily Dose also? What does she do? She only works for me and her tasks always vary. She does a lot of organizational stuff (book keeping, post office,…) but is also in contact with clients or does research for new posts.
- Were you always organizes or did you have to learn to be? I feel like social media can be misleading. While a lot of travel definitely requires a lot of organization, my life is far from organized. If you see a clean corner of my apartment on Instagram, chances are the other side of the room looks like a bomb exploded… just sayin’
- Are you in Vienna at the end of August, beginning of September? We are going to Tuscany with the entire family and I couldn’t be more excited!
- How long have you and your boyfriend been a couple? It will be 12 years in September!
- Why the “new girl from Cali”? Did you live there? Why did you move to Austria? I lived in Southern California from age 10 to (almost) 16 because my dad worked there. And we also moved to Austria for the same reason.
- Which district in Vienna would you recommend for living? Many! Every district has beautiful corners and some that are not so hot! My favorites are 4, 5, 6 and 7. The Servietenviertel in the 9th district is beautiful, the outer 19th and 18th… like I said, so many!
- When will the home-workout videos by your personal trainer be available for purchase? Soon! The video team is currently working on the last rounds of edits!
- Coolest places for girls week out in Vienna? Lunch, dinner? I would make sure to have lunch at Mochi, sundowner drinks at Tel Aviv Beach or the 25 hours rooftop bar, an afternoon glass of rosé at Naschmarkt, dinner at Motto in the 5th district, brunch at The Guesthouse Vienna or Motto am Fluss and if you like people watching, have some bubbles and small bites at Schwarzes Kameel in the first district or drinks at the Fabios bar. Classic cocktail bar: Roberto’s or Kleinod.
- In what job/profession do you see yourself at age 40? Content creation, for sure! That could be social media, strategic input or photography – but definitely something creative and preferably still in self-employment!
- Have you been to Budapest? What languages do you speak? Yes, I have been to Budapest twice (beautiful city, very similar to Vienna in many ways). I speak fluent German and English, plus a few bits and pieces of French.
- Where do you see yourself in 10/15 years? With a family, still working (yay for working moms, we can really do it all) side-by-side with my best friend, living in an apartment that we own and I spent all my free-time remodeling to our likes, traveling a lot and learning to speak a different language fluently.
- Do you ever regret having started with Social Media? No! I think if you practice a healthy relationship with/on social media, it is a beautiful source of inspiration and communication. Plus, I have my career to thank for it!
- Which boutiques can you recommend in Munich? Unfortunately, Munich is not my hometown, so not really any – except I always stop by Theresa when I am in town!
- Favorite flowers? I love flowers in general, but peonies, hydrangeas and wild garden roses are definitely at the top of the list.
- All time favorite spots in Vienna? Fabios has the best Italian food and great service, The Guesthouse is my favorite hotel (and love their brunch), Mochi is a must, Motto am Fluss has a great breakfast, Neni at Naschmarkt and Roberto’s is a cool bar. But there are so many more!
- How tall are you? 172cm
- Favorite restaurant in Vienna? Fabios! Never fails!!
- Daily make-up essentials? A tinted moisturizer or bb cream with SPF, mascara and bronzer and some sort of an eyebrow product (or even better freshly tinted brows!)
- Where do you find interior inspiration? Good question! Probably the most via Pinterest and travels. I am such a sucker for stylish hotels and always find so much inspiration when traveling. I also pick hotels based on their interiors and style a lot of the time. Also, a cool boutique in NYC (think: the Apartment by The Line), stylish café in LA or a pretty restaurant in Paris can be a source of inspiration!
- Books that have helped me develop as a person? Wow, such a good but tough question. I am not sure if any single book has had a particular impact, but I do think that The Circle (social media control/obsession) was a good read even though I didn’t like the end and earlier this year I read Magic Cleaning by Marie Kondo and am determined to clean out our apartment (and life) in a major way! Also, I am currently reading The Marshmallow Test and if it comes close to the reviews, I am sure it will help me develop as well!
- Do you want to get married? Yes! But let’s not forget that a wedding/marriage comes in all shapes and sizes.
- Is there a discount code as part of your Pandora collaboration? I am currently not actively collaborating with Pandora. All the jewellery I wear from them is just because I love it. So unfortunately: no.
- Where did you get your jade roller? Is it also available in the US? I ordered mine via Cult Beauty and paid around 17€ for it. And yes, they are also available in the US – try amazon!
- Are you originally from California? Nope, born in Stuttgart, Germany!
- Do you want to get married and have kids? Yes and yes.
- Are there rules you eat by? There are a few basics that I keep in mind when it comes to nutrition. I try not to snack, instead have 3 full meals per day with 4-5 hours between each meal. I try to have protein with every meal, eat tons of vegetables and usually don’t have anything raw (uncooked) at night because it is hard for the body to digest. I eat carbs mostly for breakfast and lunch, rarely at night.
- What sign are you? Aquarius
- Favorite districts in Vienna? 1st, 4th and 5th, 6th, 7th and corners of the 3rd.
- What is your best tip for a long and healthy relationship? Funny enough, I have been working on a post about this exact question for over a week now. It will probably be live on Sunday of this week and will include not 1 but 10 tips! However, my no.1 tip is probably brutal honesty and the ability to fight or disagree (in a healthy, respectful manner).
- What made you happy today? A text message from my mom the first thing in the morning, wishing us safe travels. Mom’s are the best, right?
- What’s your favorite color, and also color combination (especially for outfits)? I am not sure I have a favorite color. Even though I wear almost every color, none of them are particularly “my favorite”. I love a neutral color palette and also think they are the easiest to work with in terms of outfits. White, beige, gray, black… and in my world, leopard is also considered a neutral!
- What are your plans for the next years? Both for work and private! I have never been someone to plan ahead too much. I just try to stay open for every opportunity that comes along. For work, we have a few exciting things in the making for The Daily Dose, which we are not ready to talk about just yet, and privately I still have a few destinations on my travel bucket list before I start thinking about family (and stuff).
- What is your favorite athletic brand? Definitely Lululemon. The quality is amazing and the cuts usually very flattering. A new brand I am loving is aimn, Puma has recently made some really cool stuff and of course the regulars like Adidas and Nike. I also wrote a blogpost about my favorite workout wear here.
- What is your favorite spot for hot days in Vienna? In all honesty: our terrace. Such a lame answer and not very helpful to you guys. But the outside space is the reason we fell in love with our current apartment. Nothing makes me happier than a BBQ with friends on a hot day. In terms of spaces that are open to the public, I think Tel Aviv Beach is great for drinks or Pratersauna for good music and an occasional dip in the pool!
outfit details: ZARA sweats (aka my travel pants), Anine Bing shirt, Chloé beltbag, Hermes sandals
- Favorite brand for dresses? Overall, I think Self-Portrait. I think the price-point is more than fair, the styles beautiful and the quality good. Lately, though, I have really been loving Ganni (especially dresses and skirts) and of course, Zimmermann makes beautiful dresses as well!
- Favorite podcasts? I don’t listen to a lot of podcasts, but The Goop is my favorite that I have come across so far. Even though I find myself drawn to topics around health, fitness and food, I thought the recent one called “who are you in a crisis?” with the spiritual legend Marianne Williamson was extremely powerful!
- What are you reading right now or have read recently that you’d recommend? I am going through a phase where I prefer guides/studies to novels. Magic Cleaning by Marie Kondo was one of those and currently I am reading The Marshmallow Test about the ability of self-control and how it goes hand-in-hand with a successful, fulfilled life!
- What are your favorite skincare products at the moment? My routine is simple: micellar water to cleanse, a hydrating or calming serum + moisturizer. Currently, I love the micellar water by La Roche-Posay or Caudalie, the Bobbi Brown remedies (80 + 86), Dior Capture Youth serums (Redness Relief + Plump Filler), the Charlotte Tilbury Miracle Cream and Crème de la Mer moisturizer.
- Favorite dinner spots in Vienna? Depends entirely on the mood/occasion. But Fabios or Mochi is where we always have our date nights.
- What motivates you and how do you find motivation? My biggest motivation in life is spending my time doing things I love. Having turned my hobby into a job is the biggest blessing and is pure motivation itself. Even though it also includes tasks that I really have to force myself to do (accounting, for example). The procrastinator that I am, deadlines have always been one source of motivation for me. Also, purposefully slowing down can be really motivating. To me, slower/calmer phases are always a good source of inspiration because I am not constantly chasing a to-do list but have time to let my thoughts wander and creativity spark.
- How do you edit your photos on Instagram? I usually only use the app VSCO cam (filters A4 or C8) and all the tools within the apps to adjust brightness, saturation, grain,… it always depends on the original photo. For some effects I like Afterlight and if I need to make a pimple disappear, Facetune is the app.
- What do you think about fasting in-flight? Probably not a whole lot. I am the type of person who likes to use food to pass time and I am a boredom snacker. My in-flight meals and snacks are ways to make the flight go by faster. Even though I love the idea of intermediate fasting and practice it at home sometimes, I think a plane filled with strangers and the occasional crying baby is not the place to be hungry. Of course, it totally depends on the length of the flight. For anything longer than 2 hours I have snacks, for flights over 5 hours I bring full meals!
- How do you edit your photos for your feed but also your stories? Again, VSCO cam (filters A4 or C8) but for the stories I also sometimes use an app called “unfold” to create those collages or frames.
- Favorite perfume? Even though I am currently not using it, I would have to say Chance Eau Vive by Chanel.
- Favorite mascara? “lash expert twist brush”The by terry .
- What should everyone have in their closet? A really good pair of jeans (no holes), a simple black and/or white round-neck t-shirt and a pair of black heels that you can walk in all evening!
- What do you NOT like to eat? I will definitely get hate for this, but: gummy bears! Not even as a kid did I like the artificial color, flavor or consistency. I just don’t understand the point. Also, any intestines.
- Do you have tips for long-distance flights? Yes, I do! Lots and lots of water (no alcohol or coffee), healthy food and snacks, no make-up + lots of hydrating products. Read some of my tips HERE or be sure to check out this article on The Daily Dose.
- Do you ever have days that you are simply lazy? I think it depends on your definition of lazy. In the classic sense of staying in bed all day: no, not unless I am sick. But in the sense of no work: of course! For example when I am home with my parents. But that may include a morning workout, long walk, cooking together or taking the oldtimers out for a ride I guess the word would not necessarily be lazy but rather relaxing or offline.
- How did you and Katharina become friends/business partners? Like ya’ll by each other 24/7! We met when she moved into my old apartment. We instantly hit it off, founded The Daily Dose 6 months later and have been inseparable ever since!
- Which lipstick is your favorite? I actually have two: the “rich nude” art stick by Bobbi Brown and the “Nude York City Style” 002 by Catrice.
- Which good vintage stores do you know in Vienna? Unfortunately I am not a big vintage shopper. The only one I know is Burggasse 24.
- How can I love myself without makeup? I think the key is feeling comfortable in your own skin. So focus on good skincare and drink lots of water. Also, I feel so much more confident without make-up if I have my eyebrows and lashes tinted. Try working your way towards less make-up with more natural-looking products like a tinted moisturizer or bb cream.
- Do you have a monthly shopping budget or is it different every month? It varies every month. I never go shopping just for the sake of it, but when I see something I love, I usually splurge right away (if it is not crazy expensive).
- Which yoga/pilates clothes can you recommend? Also Lululemon or Hey Honey!
- What are your L.A. must-sees? Hike up Runyon Canyon early in the morning, have breakfast or lunch at the Malibu Farm and go to El Matador State Beach after, Abbot Kinney Road in Venice Beach, Griffith Observatory, Rodeo Dr. (obviously), Universal Studios, Melrose Drive and an In ‘n Out Burger, of course!
- Do you miss you cappuccino now and then? Never! If I would miss it, I would totally just have it! Occasionally, I feel like an almond milk flat white, but on the daily I absolutely love my black Americano and much prefer it to a cappuccino!
- Would you ever show your kids on Instagram? Probably in some way yes. But haven’t put much thought into it yet since kids are nowhere near on the horizon!
- Do you use self tanner? If so, which one can you recommend? The only self tanner I use is L’eau Tan by Chanel. It is super subtle and actually smells good. But not really a self tanner in the traditional sense! I have also tried Tan Luxe twice and was pretty happy with the results.
- If you had to choose just 1 beauty product – which one would it be? It is a close call between a tinted moisturizer with SPF and a highlighting bronzer. I am obsessed with a natural glow. However, I would have to get my brows and lashes tinted weekly – no can do without eyebrows!
- One word to describe yourself? So basic, but “happy”. I think it is in my nature to be happy and easy-going 90% of the time!
Vielen Dank für diesen schönen Post und, dass du dir die Zeit genommen hast, die Fragen niederzuschreiben.
Interessanter Weise sind genau solche Beiträge immer mit am spannesten 🙂
BTW: wie süß war denn der Hund bei euch im Flieger!! So einen hätte ich auch gerne bei meinem nächsten Flug 🙂
Ich wünsche euch eine tolle Zeit in NYC !!
Alles liebe aus HH <3
Wirklich toller Beitrag – ich lese super gerne so persönliche Beiträge. Ich finde dadurch baut man einen anderen Bezug zum Blogger auf und das macht das Lesen der Beiträge einfach noch interessanter. 🙂
Mit dem Ombre Lipstick von Catrice (Nude York City Style) hast Du mich total angefixt. Leider geht der aber aus dem Sortiment – ich hab schon gehamstert bei allen dm’s und BIPA’s haha. 😀
Ein toller Post, danke für die Antworten. Macht Dich gleich noch sympathischer!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
Loved this post Vicky ♥️
Happy times in NYC!
PS. Die kleine Chloé is boooomb!
I love, love, love this post!
The Qs on Where do you see yourself in 10/15 years I would answer exactly like you! 😉
XX from Berlin
This is such an interesting post, I Love your bag!\
Sehr sehr cooler Beitrag! Ich liebe solche Q&A´s, da erfährt man so viel Neues über einen!
Tolle Arbeit liebe Vicky und auch die Bilder sind superschön geworden.
Liebe Grüße, Sandra / http://shineoffashion.com
ich liebe es, solche Posts zu lesen <3 ich hab auch schon die Q&As in deinen Stories gespannt verfolgt. Bei der Buch-Frage ist mir noch "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" eingefallen, was ich super unterhaltsam und gleichzeitig echt hilfreich fand 🙂 und unten den Sportsbrands ist bei mir L'urv ganz oben mit dabei, schon mal gehört? Die Qualität ist ähnlich wie Lululemon und ich liebe die Styles.
Die Vienna Tipps sammle ich gerade ganz fleißig, da ich im Herbst das erste Mal für ein Wochenende in Wien sein werde! Finally <3
Übrigens finde ich es toll, wie offen zu zum einen mit deinem Privatleben bist und zugleich genug Privatsphäre wahrst! Ich hadere gerade mit diesem "alle heiraten und bekommen Kinder dabei kann ich mir das die nächsten paar Jahre noch nicht vorstellen". Da hilft es, etwa dasselbe von jemandem zu hören, der einen gewissen Vorbild-Charakter darstellt 🙂 🙂
Liebste Grüße aus Stuttgart!
[…] and I go way back. Those that read my “ask me anything” post from last week, will know that I was born in Stuttgart and still have my grandparents there. If you […]
[…] the Standard High Line Hotel for our weekend trip to the big apple. He didn’t object and so we spent the last four days of July in room 1201 at the Standard. But is it really all that it is hyped up to be? I’ll tell you […]