Where to next?
The reality check of 2018 has come along a bit sooner than anticipated. Usually, December is crazy busy and then January follows on a much more quite note. Not this year. My agenda is filling up quickly and aside from a super busy 2 weeks, I have lots of incredible travels (some work-related, some private) planned. Where to next, you ask? I thought I would take the opportunity to share my travels – both booked and wishlist – for this year with you.
As you know, inspiring destinations and beautiful hotels are a big part of my blog. Traveling has always been one of my biggest passions and something that I loved saving up for. I still remember how I worked as a waitress for an entire year, putting aside 300€ per month to make my dream vacation through the US happen with my best friend. We started out in NYC, flew down to Miami, then headed straight for Las Vegas and finished the trip in L.A. – definitely worth every cappuccino I served!
So, what’s on my travel list this year? Which destinations or hotels am I dreaming about?
- Hamburg: For a job I am off to Hamburg this weekend. I probably won’t get to see much of the city (luckily I have been before), but it is a super exciting campaign and Mike will keep me company. This year I wanted to try to not travel on the weekends for work, but sometimes that’s the only way things work out…
- Berlin: Fashion Week is approaching quickly and this time I get to work with 2 amazing brands during the time in Berlin, plus attend many great shows, events. My sister is joining me for some much needed girls time (after being away in Australia for 3 months) and as a cuddle buddy. I love Fashion Week and catching up with lots of inspiring people, but coming home to an empty hotel room for an entire week is not my favorite evening activity.
- Maldives: In February, I will be celebrating my last birthday with a 2 in front of it. And while that is a pretty lame excuse to head to the Maldives, we got so lucky with our flights that we simply had to jump at the opportunity. Airberlin went flying (pun intended) in August but Mike and I both still had around 100.000 frequent traveler miles with them that were about to go to waste. There was a deal to use the miles for flights with Etihad departing from German airports. That’s why, in September, we took our abundance of miles and used them for a flight from Munich to Malé via Abu Dhabi before they became worthless. Best deal ever! (If only hotels weren’t so expensive in the little slice of heaven on earth…)
- Vancouver: Usually, we go to see Mike’s Family in Canada every other year around the holidays. Two years ago we spent NYE in Vancouver and we had planned to go in January of this year. Somehow, January turned into March but our flights are finally booked and I have my fingers crossed that we might even get lucky with a bit of early Spring in British Columbia.
- Palm Springs: From Vancouver, we are heading straight for Palm Springs. Now you are probably thinking: Weren’t you just there? Yes! For a wedding? Yes! But guess what, we have another couple that is tying the knot under the California sun. And I’ll take any excuse I can get to make a trip out to the West Coast!
- Los Angeles: After the wedding in Palm Springs, we are driving to L.A. for a couple of days before heading home. I am already counting the days to be back in lalaland. ♥
- Tuscany: Two years ago, we spent Easter on Mallorca with the entire family. And by entire I mean: Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents. 18 people, 1 big house and so much fun. We are currently in the process of planning a revival and will spend the last week in August in the Chianti region of Italy just outside of Florence.
- South of France: Since the roadtrip through northern Italy was such a big hit this past Summer, my family (not 18 people this time, just the 6 of us) will continue on from Tuscany and drive to Saint Tropez along the Côte d’Azur.
Wait, there’s more?
That’s quite a bit of traveling with a ton of incredible stops along the way all set and planned, but of course I also have a few other things on my personal bucket- and wishlist:
- Dubai: Mike and I were supposed to go to Dubai the week before Christmas to meet up with my siblings on their way back from Australia. Unfortunately, those plans got cancelled. Dubai is still at the very top of my list, especially with the new Bulgari Resort that just opened up in December. Dreams!
- Greek Islands: One of my best friends from California threatened to come to Europe this Summer (yay!). We told them if they made it happen we would fly to join them – whenever, wherever. Especially with Mykonos and Santorini at the very top of their list!
- New York City: Last year, for my birthday, Mike surprised me with a trip to NYC. With both of our busy schedules and all the travels for work, it never happened last year, but we have our fingers crossed for this year! Speaking of which, he still has a trip to the desert open from one of his birthdays… maybe we can just turn it into a trip around the world and do both in one go.
- South Africa: It is not like there will be many days of the year left over by the time all of these trips are over, but incase we do have some spare time next Winter, I really want to see South Africa one day. Major bucket list item!
What’s on your travel list this year? I would love to know & hear your favorite destinations. I also want to explore Asia a lot more but sort of feel overwhelmed. Where to start? (Aside from Bangkok.) What to see?