Sometimes plans change. Sometimes life gets in the way. Sometimes things just don’t work out. In 3 days, we were supposed to be boarding a flight to the Maldives to celebrate my birthday under the sun. We booked the flights back in September with the last bits of our saved-up miles with airberlin. But as time went on, the vacation started feel more and more like a burden. For both work-related and personal reasons. That’s why, 2 weeks ago, Mike and I decided to cancel everything. Crazy? Not really. We are young, have no kids or school vacations to keep in mind and should only spend our free time doing things that make us 100% happy.
Don’t get me wrong. The Maldives are nothing short of paradise and under different circumstance the absolute dream vacation. To date, the day we left the Park Hyatt Hadahaa 2 years ago was the only time I cried while checking-out at a hotel – that’s how beautiful it was. Even more so, because we are aware of the fact of just how special a trip to the Maldives is, we decided that this time, it just didn’t feel right. Luckily we were able to get all of the hotel costs refunded and the airline miles would have been gone anyway (since the insolvency of the company). Instead we booked a 4-day city trip to Istanbul, where we will be celebrating my birthday in 10 days.
Funny enough, we are both beyond excited about Istanbul, which just goes to show that the other vacation simply wouldn’t have been the right thing this time around. Yesterday, we finalised our foodie agenda (one of our favorite parts of traveling), and now I am counting the days even more. Which is why I wanted to dedicate today’s Cravings to city trips and share a few new items I recently acquired with you that will definitely make an appearance on our trip!
Istanbul City Trip
- Le Specs retro sunnies: Adore this shape of sunglasses on others, just not sure if it suits my face…
- Prada bag: I have been drooling over the newest Prada bags for a good year and this one is pure perfection for summer. Light white, beachy but still sophisticated.
- Edited wrap top: Do you guys remember this top from last year? So many of you loved it and so do I! This season, EDITED has come out with a super similar one and I am thinking I need it – in multiple colors, of course. Who’s with me?
- Closed pedal pushers: My obsession with the Closed pedal pusher jeans is not one to miss (basically all I wear nowadays) and this is the most recent addition to my collection. Super super high-waisted with frayed hems. Love!
- Fleur du mal satin silk bra: Just because!
- Rag & Bone cap: I have been loving caps for city trips, or any trip for that matter. No bad hair days when you can simply pull it together in a low bun and add a cap.
- Christian Dior sneakers: Last but not least, an early birthday present from me to me. An insanely expensive version of the classic converse sneakers, but hey, my heart skipped a beat when I saw them and they are super comfortable, which makes them practical too.
*featured image via Soho House Istanbul